The Michigan Competing Band Association (MCBA) is a sanctioning body for marching band field contests in the state of Michigan, established in 1974. Not only does it host a great number of local competitions around the state, MCBA holds the only statewide marching band championships in Michigan. Previous championships were held at the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park Varsity Stadium in Canton, Michigan, Rynearson Stadium at Eastern Michigan University, and at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan.They are currently held at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan. Prior to the 1992-93 school year, MCBA was known as the Michigan Competing Band Director’s Association, or MCBDA.
Classification and scoring
Bands are separated into “Flights” by the number of students enrolled in the high school itself (based on MHSAA second semester totals) and are not a measurement of band or program size. This has been in place since the 1992-93 school year.
The flights for the 2011 season are as follows:
Flight I 1653 – higher
Flight II 1214 – 1652
Flight III 800 – 1213
Flight IV 799 – lower
Bands are judged completely separately in their respective flights. Bands are given a score, placement, as well as caption awards for “Best Music”, “Best Marching”, and “Best General Effect” in their respective flights. The judging system is as follows:
- Visual Field Judge Able to move around the field
- Music Field Judge Able to move around the field
Each judge awards a maximum of 12.5 points, for a maximum total of 25 points.
- Visual Ensemble Judge Judges from press box or high vantage point in the stands
- Music Ensemble Judge Judges from press box or high vantage point in the stands
Each judge awards a maximum of 15 points, for a maximum total of 30 points.
- General Effect Music Judge 1
- General Effect Music Judge 2
- General Effect Visual Judge
All G.E. judges view from the press box. Each General Effect judge awards a maximum of 15 points, for a maximum total of 45 points
The scoring for each band is as follows:
MCBA currently utilizes the Bands of America judging system in combination with several MCBA constructed judging sheets and criteria. Seven adjudicators are utilized in the scoring system:
- General Effect Music Judge 1 15 pts
- General Effect Music Judge 2 15 pts
- General Effect Visual Judge 15 pts
- Music Field Judge 12.5 pts
- Music Ensemble Judge 15 pts
- Visual Field Judge 12.5 pts
- Visual Ensemble Judge 15 pts
Total possible = 100 pts
Source : From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
To know more about Michigan Competing Band Association visit: